Friday, October 15, 2010

Site assignment!!

I got my new site! I’m going to the department of San Marcos!

Unfortunately, due to Peace Corps Blog Guidelines, I can’t reveal the name of my community. It’s a security concern…….so…..you’ll have to email me if you want to google map the actual location.

It’s still exciting though! It’s a 6000 person town in the mountains, at 1000 meters above sea level (so it’s actually supposed to be warm!) and I’ve heard rumors that you can see quetzals in the surrounding areas (!!!!)

Here is a picture of a quetzal. This is the national bird and the national currency, i.e. what I get a stack of on payday (not the actual bird, silly):

http://cjaronu.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/quetzal1.jpg

Also, here’s some picture of the Municipal Development director Carlos Julajuj showing my training group our sites. (it was sort of a crazy day, and I got very little sleep last night because I couldn’t stop wondering)



This is it! I’m going to be living in the far west, about 50 km from the Mexican border for the next two years! My town has two internet cafes and I’m probably going to spend the next 3 months in a boarding house with hot water. Which is awesome.

Oh, and here’s some pictures from celebrating in Antigua yesterday:


1 comment: